Tuesday 4 February 2014

Learning From Experience


           One of my favourite quotes comes from the ancient Chinese philosopher, Xunzi. The quote states,


(Lee, 2005, p. 81)

           This quote has since been revised to,

(Erica, 2009)

            I absolutely love this quote because it is the baseline for my teaching style, experiential learning. I have found in my own life that I learn best by actually doing what I am trying to learn about. Whether I am learning in math, science, physical education, or any other aspect of my life; I learn better by doing. Students can be told what to do, but without a visual it can be very difficult for many learners to understand the concept. In my own life, when I am told how to do something I will inevitably forget unless I actually see it being done. When students are taught, the teacher will demonstrate how to complete the task, while telling the students what they are doing. This allows students to have a visual and audio representation of what to do, thus allowing them to remember the process. I have found that when I watch and listen to a demonstration of how to perform a certain skill I remember how to complete the skill, but I still do not fully understand. However, when students participate and are involved in a skill they will learn and understand how the skill is fully executed. 
           I know that I only actually learn when I see, hear and do the skill. In my speciality of physical education the concept of experiential learning is very prominent. If I explain a skill, for example throwing, to the students they have a difficult time understanding what I am explaining. When I demonstrate how to perform the skill the students begin to comprehend what I am asking from them. However, when most students see how to perform a skill, they cannot automatically perform the skill correctly. They must actually get up and perform the skill, with feedback, in order to practice the skill and more fully understand the process. Using audio, visual and hands-on learning techniques students are more able to understand.

References

Erica, P. (Photographer). (2009, February 15). *Blackboard* [Web Photo]. Retrieved from http://www.flickr.com/photos/pareeerica/3279725831/

Lee, J. (2005). Xunzi and early chinese naturalism. (1 ed., p. 81). New York, NY: State University of New York Press, Albany. Retrieved from http://books.google.ca/books?id=H_ASbsCvQEYC&pg=PA81&dq=Not having heard something is not as good as having heard it; having heard it is not as good as having seen it; having seen it is not as good as knowing it; knowing it is not as good as putting it into practice.&hl=en&sa=X&ei=HmtGUoieF7CayQHqsYCgBA&ved=0CC4Q6AEwAA

No comments:

Post a Comment