Friday 14 February 2014

Everyone is Different

           Every individual is different, and everyone has their own story. As a teacher I must include the diversity of my students into the classroom to allow all students to feel welcome and included. A quote from Maxine Greene (1993) that I love is,


(Greene, 1993, p. 211)

 (Hargreave, 2009)

When individuals are made to feel as though they are unimportant and insignificant, as if physically placed in the margins of a piece of paper through the treatment of others, a rift will develop between the community of practice. In instances of marginalization, anger and hatred can develop.
          As a teacher, one of my biggest worries is how to include all of my students and have them feel important. I do not want to be the teacher that unintentionally pushes a student to the side. The pain and damage that I could cause to a student is terrifying to me. However, what I need to do is make a conscious effort to include all. An activity that I have planned for my students will occur during the first week of class. I will cut a giant piece of paper into puzzle pieces. I will then have the students put pictures and words that describe themself onto their puzzle piece. At the end of the class, I will put all the puzzle pieces together and place them on the wall. We will then have a class discussion about how every individual is unique on their own, however, when all the uniqueness is put together we become a whole beautiful masterpiece. I will strive to include all students in the group discussion. My goal as a teacher is to provide all students with the feelings of importance and inclusion.


References


Greene, M. (1993). Diversity and inclusion: Toward a curriculum for human beings. Teachers College Record, 2(95), 211-221.

Hargreave, E. (Photographer). (2009, July 13). Lined paper [Web Photo]. Retrieved from http://www.flickr.com/photos/17041261@N08/3716751899/in/photolist-6ErjRi-8W1vUf-cfoXcL-eEW23e-8hGjKL-aYUynK-cAuCH3-fz63vE-fyQK4z-fyQJX8-fyQJLK-fz63iq-7JFfwr-6uwxAC-9282Ax-bmyB8q-97oHC-6b72yA-dfE2MN-88T62N-bqUGm6-bmzwPs-bsYc7d-epxyi6-eqsDaU-9t2eLE-dtoneg-dtonme-dtonsM-dtonHp-5HGQzF-5HGPhZ-5HM9Bh-5HMadC-5HJ5cc-5HM8r7-b4aijn-6z4trZ-7G4VEg-7k7J9Q-bpx3ni-bkgwi2-bmsSpa-bmsPBk-bmsVN8-bmsQMZ-bmsRLF-bmsS7K-biP97k-7L7uw3-tYDac

No comments:

Post a Comment